[CentOS] Power-outage

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Fri Jul 1 11:30:50 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> I have a CentOS-5.6 remote server in a house in Italy,
> where there are occasional thunder-storms.
>
> There was one yesterday, when the electricity
> went off 3 times, for a second or so on each occasion.
>
> My server, an HP MicroServer,
> came back (re-booted) on 2 of the 3 occasions,
> but not on the third.
>
> I assume that the problem arises because the machine
> does not close down properly.
> (Although it is also possible that a voltage surge
> might have been responsible -
> I have no surge protector on this supply.)
>
> It seems to me that it should be possible
> to have a simple, torch-battery operated, system
> which will keep the machine alive long enough
> to make a graceful exit.
> A full-blown UPS would be excessive, I think,
> as I only want the machine to re-boot
> when the current comes back on.
>
> I know there is a Remote Management (iLO) card
> for this machine, which might be useful for this.
> Unfortunately, I've already used the PCIe slot
> for a second ethernet card.
>
> Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.
>
> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

A UPS would be your simplest option here since the UPS can send a
signal to the OS to shutdown properly.

Using a "torch battery" (I presume this is a large torch?) you'll
still have the same issue as you have now - when the battery runs flat
(i.e. power outage is longer than 10 minutes or so) Linux will still
crash uncleanly.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers