[CentOS] Power-outage

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Sat Jul 2 00:26:17 UTC 2011

On Friday, July 01, 2011 11:46 PM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
>> On 7/1/2011 10:59 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
>>>
>>> APC UPSes are supported by apcupsd.  Other brands, not so much.  Some
>>> (read: cheaper models) have their own special protocol and don't
>>> include Linux support.  These solutions are intended for the cheaper
>>> or otherwise 'unsupported' UPSes.  It *sounds* like the OP does not
>>> need something smart and is probably looking for something cheap.
>>>

>> And the APC Smart-UPS 750 units are not all that expensive
>> either.  Even the 1500VA units are a lot less expensive then they were
> 5-10
>> years ago.   $250-$300 to protect $2000-$6000 worth of hardware is
> worth
>> it in my book.
>
> To what extent does a UPS *protect* the hardware?
> Maintaining up-time during brief brown-outs is one thing I expect of a
> UPS,
> Orderly shutdown is another thing I expect of a UPS.
>
> *protection* of the PC from irregularity in the AC Mains by a UPS,
> however, I question.
> Rather, it seems, any power irregularity that would kill a PC by
> propagating through the PSU will also propagate through the UPS.

PSUs must love Regular under voltage electricity and so too your data if
the batteries of the UPS are anything to go by. Batteries died within
two years on one particular circuit and the connected servers suffered
while I was getting replacement batteries. Apparently one motherboard
loved it so much that the thing would not POST anymore.