[CentOS] HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Wed Jul 6 18:19:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> Thanks for the explanation. Please help me understand why do Hardware
> Vendors provide onboard storage raid controller chipset on the
> motherboard (fakeraid if its a software raid.).  Is it a marketing
> term for selling servers. Since it does not add value at all strictly
> speaking due to the fact that the OS is unable to determine the
> Logical drives.
>
> Awaiting your earnest reply.
>
> Regards
>
> Kaushal

Frankly, that's something you'd need to ask the vendors directly.
Everyone else can just give you speculation, or their idea of what
they think the real reason behind this is.

That said, many onboard RAID chipsets work fine with various Linux
distributions, and all of them work fine with Windows. In the case of
Windows you also need to install the drivers while installing Windows.
And this is cause the OS developers, whether Linux, UNIX or Windows
don't always have the drivers readily available to include in the
installation files but instead rely on the hardware developers to
supply the drivers on disk, or on the internet.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Website: http://www.SoftDux.com