[CentOS] HP Smart Array B110i SATA RAID Controller Driver

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Jul 6 18:18:49 UTC 2011

On 07/06/11 11:10 AM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Please help me understand why do Hardware
> Vendors provide onboard storage raid controller chipset on the
> motherboard (fakeraid if its a software raid.).  Is it a marketing
> term for selling servers.

They do it because it is nearly free, and yes, its a marketing thing.
Also, MS Windows Server's 'native' raid, aka Dynamic Disks, is rather
funky and few people like to mess with it, so having 'fake' raid in the
chipset and its drivers makes life simpler for Windows administrators.

Higher end servers will have true raid cards with their own processor,
and substantial battery backed write-back cache.   these cards tend to
cost more than the whole MicroServer