[CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Sat Jul 9 21:50:59 UTC 2011

Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:

>> From: Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs>
>> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Celebrating Centos 6.0 Day World-wide
>>
>> Keith Roberts wrote:
>>> On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>>>
>>> ***snip***

>>> Maybe they'd take a shine to KDE4 or Gnome 3 desktops?
>>>
>>> But that would mean using something like Fedora 15 with a
>>> maximum update lifetime of ~12 months, or another linux
>>> distro with a longer lifetime like Ubuntu ?
>>>
>> I see now that I was misunderstood. I was talking about Apps abilities.
>> "My Windows app would do that automatically"
>> "Why cant I lay MP3's at once? You did install Winamp-like app? In
>> windows Winamp just plays my MP3's", and so on.
>>
>> The look and feel are not so much the problem as behavior
>> of Apps and the likeness of the App's them selves.
>> Intuitive like-Windows app behavior.
>
> Yes I understand that Ljubomir. But you can also set the
> look of most desktops as well, so the Linux desktop windows
> have a 'Windozey look and feel'. But this still does not
> take into the way Linux apps work, as opposed to the same or
> similar Windoze apps. But I guess that's to be expected
> anyway.
>
> The learning curve for most GUI apps is generally straight
> forward. Just common sense really. Almost any apps you would
> look for help under F1, and the File tab is going to be near
> that.
>
> There are some apps under Linux that are difficult to
> master, like the GIMP. Another one that comes to mind is
> Blender IIRC.
>
> But most other apps are just common sense to use in most
> cases IMHO.

OK. I am concluding this for tonight (it's 23:44 here).

I must be the only one keeping entire/beggining of the conversation in
mind why replying. Either that or I am nutz.

Again to the begining of this sub-thread:

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
 > Always Learning wrote:
 >> Pragmatically, either one wants mp3 files to play or one is not too
 >> bothered if they do not play.
 >>
 > Short version (I am hungry):
 >
 > Experience (19 years of Windows phone support and 5 years of Linux
 > administration and usage as a desktop surrounded by Windows users) says
 > that in order to convert (reluctant) Windows user you have to fully
 > replicate Windows environment with compatible Linux Apps. Period.
 >
 > Ljubomir

So I was saying that having mp3 codecs(, seamless printing and
scanning...) is important for convert from Windows and you guys started
with GUI.....

Ljubomir