[CentOS] Switch from SL -> Centos

Beartooth beartooth at comcast.net
Mon Jul 11 21:03:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:31:36 +0100, James Hogarth wrote:
	[....]
> Ah fair enough - just wanted to give a heads up (and point to the yum
> reinstall option) in case anyone decided to do similar.

	Yo! I want to do exactly that -- shift a machine running SL
(whose list is not on Gmane, oddly) to CentOS, if possible without losing
my tweaks nor my data.

	But I'm confused. Your advice :

 I would strongly suggest something akin to yum reinstall \* and leave it
to chug away (backups first naturally) for a while to refresh all the
packages and teh rpm database to be in sync with the centos build.....
requires matching, same build options for sure etc etc....

is Geek to me.what is "\*"? What rpm database? The one on my machine?
What's in the repos? Or ....? What are build options? (I don't do things
like make and install, because I'm not competent to recover from bloopers
-- and I have a sneakin' hunch build is among those things.) What does
etc., etc. include?

	Might there be a web site somewhere with a pons asinorum for the
subtechnoid?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User