[CentOS] Switch from SL -> Centos

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Mon Jul 11 22:13:12 UTC 2011

Beartooth wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Jul 2011 17:31:36 +0100, James Hogarth wrote:
> 	[....]
>> Ah fair enough - just wanted to give a heads up (and point to the yum
>> reinstall option) in case anyone decided to do similar.
>
> 	Yo! I want to do exactly that -- shift a machine running SL
> (whose list is not on Gmane, oddly) to CentOS, if possible without losing
> my tweaks nor my data.
>
> 	But I'm confused. Your advice :
>
>  I would strongly suggest something akin to yum reinstall \* and leave it
> to chug away (backups first naturally) for a while to refresh all the
> packages and teh rpm database to be in sync with the centos build.....
> requires matching, same build options for sure etc etc....
>
> is Geek to me.what is "\*"? What rpm database? The one on my machine?
> What's in the repos? Or ....? What are build options? (I don't do things
> like make and install, because I'm not competent to recover from bloopers
> -- and I have a sneakin' hunch build is among those things.) What does
> etc., etc. include?
>
> 	Might there be a web site somewhere with a pons asinorum for the
> subtechnoid?

1. Downloaded centos-release-6-0.el6.centos.5.x86_64.rpm and
redhat-logos-60.0.14-10.el6.noarch.rpm from CentOS repo

2. rpm -e --nodeps sl-release redhat-logos

3. rpm -hiv redhat-logos-60.0.14-10.el6.noarch.rpm \
centos-release-6-0.el6.centos.5.x86_64.rpm

4. yum reinstall \*

5. reboot, and voilà

Ljubomir