[CentOS] Repositories for CentOS 6

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Tue Jul 12 13:46:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 09:24:54AM -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Perhaps they could be listed, with a note that says they do that?

They will still end up here and on IRC wondering why their system is
broken at some point.  The wiki is populated with repos that should be
flagged as "This repo will cause tears of impotent rage" or just
removed.

> For example, a repo with an up to date KDE would have to do that, and
> I'm looking for that particular thing.  I'd prefer to have EL6 on one
> box, but KDE 4.6 at least, and if that means a few other things have
> to get 'stomped on' then so be it. And, yeah, I'm probably capable of
> rolling that myself, if need be, for my own private use.

You're capable of supporting your own boxes :)

> Even if that means a separate wiki page for 'repositories that stomp
> all over core deps.'  With a caveat that using these repos would mean
> potential lack of help in the main centos list/forum/IRC and that
> users of said repo would probably need to go to that repo's
> list/forum/IRC for any meaningful support.

They'll still end up in #centos if history is any past indicator.  The
repos in the wiki that horse-stomp base are, for the most part, listed
as such; wording needs to be quite a bit stronger.  In a different
color and point size.  Flashing might be useful as well.

But I'd really be happy to not see them recommended here unless the
person making the recommendation takes ownership of all support issues
that the user has from said recommendation.  That seems fair :)

							John
--
Technology makes it possible for people to gain control over everything,
except over technology.

-- John Tudor