[CentOS] centos x11

Ljubomir Ljubojevic office at plnet.rs
Wed Jul 13 15:09:57 UTC 2011

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
>> So there is longer an xorg.conf file in centos 6. Where is that stored
>> now?
>>
>> When I am running host C5 and guest C6 using kvm all I can get is 800x600.
>> They System->Preferences->Display app only has "detect monitor".
>> There is no LCD selection anymore that would then allow me to select
>> something higher than 800x600.
>
> I think one's still created, where it was in /etc/X11. I *REALLY* am not
> happy - I had to screw around for a while getting mine to work right:
> brand new, as I've mentioned, Dell Precision 3500 with an Nvidia card.
> There's no system-config-display, apparently, so I had to use startx. Then
> it didn't detect the second monitor. I installed kmod-nvidia from elrepo,
> and then had to rmmod nouveau, then I had to copy my xorg.conf from my old
> system: didn't identify the monitor, didn't offer me the option to
> manually configure/choose the monitor, and on, and on.
> <snip>
>> So how do increase my kvm screen size with C5 host and C6 guest, and
>> where or how is X controlled now with no xorg.conf ?
>
> If the host X works the way you want, try copying /etc/X11/xorg.conf to
> the guest.

Based on my experience on RHEL Beta1, "Xorg --configure" will create
xorg.conf which you can then tweak and use. On older Intel graphics chip
I had to use "nomodeset" kernel option to have normal picture.

New Xorg tries to read EDID information from monitor but monitor makers
EDID code is not always compatible with what Xorg expects. That is why
you get only minimal resolution and need xorg.conf file.

Ljubomir