[CentOS] centos x11

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 20:10:49 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office at plnet.rs> wrote:

> Based on my experience on RHEL Beta1, "Xorg --configure" will create
> xorg.conf which you can then tweak and use. On older Intel graphics chip
> I had to use "nomodeset" kernel option to have normal picture.
>
> New Xorg tries to read EDID information from monitor but monitor makers
> EDID code is not always compatible with what Xorg expects. That is why
> you get only minimal resolution and need xorg.conf file.

I've had to fight this lack of xorg.conf in other distributions --
that and the nouveau video driver and grub2 -- and was kind of
dreading the day it would come to CentOS. At least we didn't get Gnome
3. Not quite sure why these kinds of changes are being made, but there
are a lot of things I don't understand -- and I'm sure there are good
reasons for all of it. I'll just adjust and find ways to work around
it.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6