[CentOS] firewall?

Cody Jackson supertanker13 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 04:42:04 UTC 2011

On 7/15/11, hadi motamedi <motamedi24 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
> I need to put my centos 5.6 server as firewall server in fron of a
> windows-running node before connecting it to the net. Can you please
> let me know what stuff do I need to put on my centos server?
> Thank you

Hadi;

Under most circumstances, CentOS 5.6 should come with the software you
need: iptables (and, possibly, iptables-ipv6).

There's a wealth of information about configuring iptables on Google.
To get you started, this looks like an interesting overview:
http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-fw.html

Also, if you get daring and want to try writing rules for yourself,
Mike Harris has a nice template configuration for iptables:
http://mharris.ca/iptables/mharris-iptables-example-config-1.2.txt

Read up on iptables, understand the concepts behind it. This is a good
thing to take slow if you're not familiar with it. Security is not to
be rushed. :)

Cheers,
Cody Jackson