[CentOS] firewall?

hadi motamedi motamedi24 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 04:57:47 UTC 2011

On 7/16/11, Cody Jackson <supertanker13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/15/11, hadi motamedi <motamedi24 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear All
>> I need to put my centos 5.6 server as firewall server in fron of a
>> windows-running node before connecting it to the net. Can you please
>> let me know what stuff do I need to put on my centos server?
>> Thank you
>
> Hadi;
>
> Under most circumstances, CentOS 5.6 should come with the software you
> need: iptables (and, possibly, iptables-ipv6).
>
> There's a wealth of information about configuring iptables on Google.
> To get you started, this looks like an interesting overview:
> http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/ch-fw.html
>
> Also, if you get daring and want to try writing rules for yourself,
> Mike Harris has a nice template configuration for iptables:
> http://mharris.ca/iptables/mharris-iptables-example-config-1.2.txt
>
> Read up on iptables, understand the concepts behind it. This is a good
> thing to take slow if you're not familiar with it. Security is not to
> be rushed. :)
>
> Cheers,
> Cody Jackson

Thank you very much for your reply. For the basic configuration and
before setting any rules on INPUT from iptables,please consider the
following IP address configuration on my nodes:
centos 5.6 server eth0 @192.168.10.114
centos 5.6 server eth0:1 at 172.18.128.1
windows node              @172.18.209.1
The centos 5.6 server is now connected to the Internet. With respect
to the above configuration, can you please let me know how can I just
forward Internet traffic right from my centos connected to the net
toward the windows node machine and thus enabling the windows machine
to have Internet service (without any iptables rules set at the
moment)? After this basic configuration, I will try to set the
required security rules to secure my windows node through centos 5.6
connected server.