[CentOS] About I386 not fitting on one DVD

david

david at daku.org
Sun Jul 17 02:50:25 UTC 2011

Just a thought

If the I386 (or i686, never could figure out why the name change)
disk doesn't quite fit on the DVD+, and needs a DVD-, this might put
some folks at an inconvenience.

I wonder if the difference between fitting and not fitting is small
enough, so that some amount of pruning might make it fit on the DVD+R
image.  Some ways to prune could be:

a)  Create two versions of the DVD, one with all the non-ideographic
languages included, and one with the ideographic languares and a
subset of the alphabet languages (English, German, French, ...)

b)  Find some less used but large package which presumes internet
access.  It could be downloaded with YUM

c)  Tackle the code bloat (oh yah, sure)

David