[CentOS] firewall?

Arun Khan knura9 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 07:24:34 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 11:12 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you for your help. I learned a lot from your post that enabled
> me to share Internet connection on my centos 5.6 machine. At now , the
> windows machine is behind the centos firewall and it can even ping
> 192.9.9.3 but just cannot resolve the url (even with DNS set for it).
> I just need to know how to give it Internet service?

search for keywords "linux routing"  and "linux ip forwarding"  and
you will find umpteen sites with answers to your problem.

As suggested by others,  budget a cheap NIC and keep Internet and LAN
on two separate physical NICs.   That would be the minimum best
practice.

Another piece of advice.  Follow the RERERE [1]  method to learn Linux
administration.   By the third you will get it right (that has been my
experience).

Visit www.tldp.org.   You will find several "full length" books on
Linux system/network admin as well "how tos"  Pick the one that meets
your scenario, read the material and experiment.   That is the best
way to learn.    BTW you can do this by installing VirtualBox either
in Linux or Windows.  With VBox you can setup small networks, all in a
virtual environment.   You can experiment and learn from them.  VBox
is well documented.

For Linux networking,  the book by Olaf Kirch and Terry Dawson [2]  is
a classic.   CentOS/RHEL docs are also very comprehensive with theory
and examples.

When you get stuck on any implementation then ask specific questions -
I tried this "blah blah" found it in this "xyz reference"  and I am
stuck on this point.

>From your posts it does not look like you have tried to do any
research.    The culture in FOSS mailing lists/forums  is to help
those who try to help themselves; otherwise opt for commercial
support.

[1] Read Experiment ....
[2] http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/nag2.pdf

--