[CentOS] fyi: RHEL 5.7 is out

Brian Mathis brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com
Thu Jul 21 13:13:41 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Always Learning <centos at u6.u22.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-07-21 at 11:11 +0200, Rainer Traut wrote:
>> it seems redhat has just pushed RHEL 5.7 out.
>> I see amoung others:
>>
>> kernel-2.6.18-274.el5.x86_64.rpm
>> redhat-release-5Server-5.7.0.3.x86_64.rpm
>
> Thanks Rainer.
>
> The dilemma is whether to upgrade from 5.6 to 6.1 or stay with 5.x as
> more 5.x versions (5.8, 5.9, 5.10 etc. might be possible). For me the
> only negative aspect of 5.x is old kernel 2.6.18 whereas 6.x is 2.6.32?
>
> Is there any easy method of discovering Red Hat's 5.x intentions
> post-5.7 ?
>
> Will the CentOS volunteers, who do a marvelous job, be willing to
> convert any future 5.x versions in addition to the 6.x versions,
> effectively giving them a double workload in addition to their normal
> full-time paying-jobs ?
>
> Paul.
> England,
> EU.

I don't see how this is a dilemma at all.  If your servers are
installed with the 5.x series, they would and probably should continue
to run using the 5.x series unless they suddenly can no longer perform
whatever tasks you need of them.  If the kernel/OS is meeting all of
your needs, why does the version number matter?

As long as Redhat has committed to support 5.x, you will continue to
get updates for it.  RHEL5 will be supported in some way until 2017.

New major versions of RHEL/CentOS should be viewed as completely
separate lines of product, as opposed to one being a direct upgrade of
the other.

-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-