[CentOS] centos6 not using /etc/gdm/custom.conf

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu Jul 21 20:17:10 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 02:17:28PM -0400, Jamieson, Stephen CTR Navair, 5.4.4.4 wrote:
> In CentOS5 you were able to create a server section in /etc/gdm/custom.conf such as
>
> [server-Standard]
> name=Standard server
> command=/usr/bin/Xorg -br -audit 4 -s 15
> chooser=false
> handled=true
> flexible=true
> priority=0
>
> After this change, Xorg would run with the -br -audit 4 -s 15 options.
>
> Unfortunately in CentOS6 this is not the case. It completely ignores anything put into custom.conf as far as I can tell.  It appears to run with -nr -verbose -auth -nolisten tcp by default.  Is there any way to modify this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephen Jamieson

In later Fedora releases, GDM has become less and less functional:
configurability has been removed, more so as releases occur. From my
(known to be flaky) memory, that includes the ability to turn off the
silly list that exposes usernames right on the login screen, the ability
to assign your own wallpaper to the login screen, among other things.

In some releases you can hack your way around whatever the missing
feature is that you're missing by using gconf-editor, in others you can't.

So, my guess is that RHEL/Centos 6 has inherited the later Gnome
"features" that have removed the feature you want.

Fred

                        The Lord is like a strong tower.