[CentOS] centos6 not using /etc/gdm/custom.conf

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Jul 21 20:29:00 UTC 2011

fred smith wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 02:17:28PM -0400, Jamieson, Stephen CTR Navair,
> 5.4.4.4 wrote:
>> In CentOS5 you were able to create a server section in
>> /etc/gdm/custom.conf such as

<snip>
> In later Fedora releases, GDM has become less and less functional:
> configurability has been removed, more so as releases occur. From my
> (known to be flaky) memory, that includes the ability to turn off the
> silly list that exposes usernames right on the login screen, the ability

And that makes it inappropriate for US gov't work (violates official std),
and actually anywhere that you have a concern about security.

> to assign your own wallpaper to the login screen, among other things.

Ah, yes, creeping M$-ism. Just like the urge to make stuff look more and
more like the Evil Empire from Redmond, without the *option* to look like
bloody Linux.

        mark