[CentOS] centos6 not using /etc/gdm/custom.conf

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 21:08:36 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Jamieson, Stephen CTR Navair, 5.4.4.4
<stephen.jamieson.ctr at navy.mil> wrote:

> In CentOS5 you were able to create a server section in /etc/gdm/custom.conf such as
>
> [server-Standard]
> name=Standard server
> command=/usr/bin/Xorg -br -audit 4 -s 15
> chooser=false
> handled=true
> flexible=true
> priority=0
>
> After this change, Xorg would run with the -br -audit 4 -s 15 options.
>
> Unfortunately in CentOS6 this is not the case. It completely ignores anything put into
> custom.conf as far as I can tell. It appears to run with -nr -verbose -auth -nolisten tcp
> by default. Is there any way to modify this?

Those options are no longer supported in GDM. I think that they were
removed with GDM 2.24 (at the latest, probably 2.22) and C6 is running
GDM 2.30.

You can use

[security]
DisallowTCP=false

in "/etc/gdm/custom.conf" to override the "-nolisten tcp" but I have
no idea about "-br -audit 4 -s 15".

"chooser=false" and "handled=true" are the default (as far as I
remember what they stand for!); no idea about "flexible=true" (I can't
remember what it stands is for!).