[CentOS] centos6 not using /etc/gdm/custom.conf

James Szinger jszinger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 02:34:49 UTC 2011

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 16:17:10 -0400
fred smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> In later Fedora releases, GDM has become less and less functional:
> configurability has been removed, more so as releases occur. From my
> (known to be flaky) memory, that includes the ability to turn off the
> silly list that exposes usernames right on the login screen, the
> ability to assign your own wallpaper to the login screen, among other
> things.

There is a gconf setting to turn off the list of users.  I've haven't
tried it under CentOS 6, but it works under Fedora 14.  I don't know
how to fix the wallpaper except by changing the picture behind RPM's
back.   Or, up until F14, I was using a recompiled version of the
CentOS 5 gdm rpm---that might work for C6.

Fortunately, the C6 wallpaper is good enough that I don't feel compelled
to tweak it.

> In some releases you can hack your way around whatever the missing
> feature is that you're missing by using gconf-editor, in others you
> can't.

The user list preference was broken for all of Fedora 13.  Blech.

There is a long open gnome bus to restore the gdm setting tool that
went away around 2.22.  The chances of having it back for gnome 2 are
vanishingly small.  I'm not holding my breath for the gnome 3 version
either.

> So, my guess is that RHEL/Centos 6 has inherited the later Gnome
> "features" that have removed the feature you want.

It's a sad day when Mac OS X is easier to customize than a Linux system.

Jim