[CentOS] problem starting X11 on centos 6

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jul 22 13:05:12 UTC 2011

Jerry Geis wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I had an issue. Manually installing Centos 6 everything worked X11 came
> up with nvidia binary drivers. Cool.
> However, I am working on a kickstart install for Centos 6 and that was
> not working. When I started X it would hang. no mouse no keyboard.
> however , remote ssh was available and worked.
<snip>
> I continued to look and sure enough hald was installed but not running.
> I did service  haldaemon stop and it said FAILED as expected, then
> service haldaemon start
> and it started up. Curious....
<snip>
There seem to be a number of problems with X: I *finally* solved mine
yesterday, of being forced to use one (very small) font with rxvt, when I
found that installing X did *not* install xorg-x11-fonts.

However, I find it very disturbing that haldaemon isn't on by default. I
haven't noticed this - has anyone else?

        mark