[CentOS] Adding the [SOLVED] Tag to break threads -- multiple factors

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Fri Jul 29 11:48:47 UTC 2011

On 7/28/2011 5:01 PM, Spiro Harvey wrote:
>> the thing is that not all mail clients will set the in-reply-to
>> headers, whuch is why clients like thunderbird, evolution and mutt
>> will use the subject line as well to thread messages.
>
> Apple Mail does that too and it makes the threading unusable IMO.
>
> If the clients are too dumb to adhere to a convention, I don't believe
> it's our job to baby them.
>
> Personally, I like the idea of the [SOLVED] tags because they can
> indicate when help is no longer needed.
>
> However, I also like the way the Sun Managers list does (did? it's been
> many years since I used it), but they basically said, post a question,
> work it out, then post a new SOLVED thread outlining the solution.
>
> While that would probably be a bit too formal for this list, it was a
> fantastic way of learning things. And having the solved thread made
> searching through archives way easier. Find a problem related to yours,
> then look for the SOLVED post. If you needed more detail, you went back
> to the main thread and read all the posts to see how they came to that
> conclusion.

Heck, I'd settle for people coming back to a "problem / issue" thread
and updating on how or what the actual problem was or what they did to
get the thing to work properly.

So often you'll see a thread talking about trying X, Y & Z, then the
person having the problem never responds back as to whether X, Y or Z
worked.  Which is especially troublesome a year or two later when you're
digging through threads in GMane trying to find a solution to a
particular issue.

(Pet peeve of the day -- dead end threads on mail lists.)