[CentOS] Power-outage

Fri Jul 1 12:43:19 UTC 2011
Ryan Wagoner <rswagoner at gmail.com>

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:
> I have a CentOS-5.6 remote server in a house in Italy,
> where there are occasional thunder-storms.
>
> There was one yesterday, when the electricity
> went off 3 times, for a second or so on each occasion.
>
> My server, an HP MicroServer,
> came back (re-booted) on 2 of the 3 occasions,
> but not on the third.
>
> I assume that the problem arises because the machine
> does not close down properly.
> (Although it is also possible that a voltage surge
> might have been responsible -
> I have no surge protector on this supply.)

I've seen this happen before. The machine looses power long enough for
the system to hang as the proper voltage is not maintained, but not
long enough for it to turn off. A cheap UPS is what you need. Just
something to smooth out the momentary power faults so the machine can
shutdown or restart. A APC Back-UPs would be perfect and shouldn't
break the bank. You don't need an expensive sinewave output like the
APC Smart-UPS for what you are trying to accomplish.

Ryan