[CentOS] Power-outage

Fri Jul 1 13:20:46 UTC 2011

Ryan Wagoner wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>
> wrote:
>> I have a CentOS-5.6 remote server in a house in Italy,
>> where there are occasional thunder-storms.
>>
>> There was one yesterday, when the electricity
>> went off 3 times, for a second or so on each occasion.
<snip>
>> (Although it is also possible that a voltage surge
>> might have been responsible - I have no surge protector on this supply.)

Speaking as someone who's lived in Chicago, central Florida, and the
Washington, DC metro area, DON'T trust the electricity, always have your
machine on a cheap surge protector, at least.
<snip>
> long enough for it to turn off. A cheap UPS is what you need. Just
> something to smooth out the momentary power faults so the machine can
> shutdown or restart. A APC Back-UPs would be perfect and shouldn't
<snip>
Any of them. I've got a CyberPower at home, and have had another brand,
and they *all* have a USB connection; none cost me more, over the last 10
years, than about $70 US.

Nothing against APC - we have a ton of them (literally, or more) at work -
it's just that these were cheaper by 10%-25%.

        mark