[CentOS] Bug in CentOS Autotools

Fri Jul 8 10:47:48 UTC 2011
John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk>

On Fri, 8 Jul 2011, John J. Boyer wrote:

> I've installed autoconf and automake from the CentOS repository. When I
> get liblouisutdml from its repository and run the autogen.sh script and
> then configure I get the error I explained in my previous message.
> Autoconf is generating a bad configure script. I've had the same problem
> on other CentOS installations, and nobody could figure out what it was.
> The nearest I can come is that some development file is missing from
> CentOS. This is not a problem for me to look at but for the CentOS
> experts. I just want to get my project to build, as it did on rhel. If I
> need to install something else from the CentOS repository, please tell
> me what.

Just to add some actual information to this thread:

CentOS 5.6:

$ hg clone https://liblouisutdml.googlecode.com/hg/ liblouisutdml

autogen.sh contains:

#!/bin/sh
#
# autogen.sh glue for liblouis
#
# Requires: automake 1.9, autoconf 2.57+
# Conflicts: autoconf 2.13
set -e

# Refresh GNU autotools toolchain.
echo Cleaning autotools files...
find -type d -name autom4te.cache -print0 | xargs -0 rm -rf \;
find -type f \( -name missing -o -name install-sh -o -name mkinstalldirs \
         -o -name depcomp -o -name ltmain.sh -o -name configure \
         -o -name config.sub -o -name config.guess -o -name config.h.in \
         -o -name mdate-sh -o -name texinfo.tex \
         -o -name Makefile.in -o -name aclocal.m4 \) -print0 | xargs -0 rm -f

echo Running autoreconf...
autoreconf --force --install

exit 0

Using it doesn't throw up anything too unsightly:

$ cd liblouisutdml

$ ./autogen.sh
Cleaning autotools files...
Running autoreconf...
Putting files in AC_CONFIG_AUX_DIR, `build-aux'.
configure.ac: installing `build-aux/install-sh'
configure.ac: installing `build-aux/missing'
doc/Makefile.am:16: installing `build-aux/mdate-sh'
doc/Makefile.am:16: installing `build-aux/texinfo.tex'
gnulib/Makefile.am: installing `build-aux/depcomp'

./configure works fine then complains I don't have liblouis installed.  Looks
fine to me, and I'm not going to make any effort to actually make it build.

jh