[CentOS] firewall?

Wed Jul 20 04:07:23 UTC 2011
hadi motamedi <motamedi24 at gmail.com>

On 7/19/11, John Hodrien <J.H.Hodrien at leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2011, hadi motamedi wrote:
>
>> Dear All
>> With respect to the references you gave me, I figured out to add the
>> following line to my /etc/sysconfig/iptables :
>> -A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -p udp -m udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
>> Then I issued:
>> #service iptables restart
>> And now the windows machine can browse valid url . Thank you for your
>> help.
>> I want to put more stuff on my centos 5.6 machine. To this end, I
>> installed ultraedit, octave, gschem,shorewall on my centos 5.6
>> machine. But I don't see one-to-one relationship between these
>> applications and the ones I have on my windows machine. For example,
>> the octave does not have  the same power as MATLAB on windows machine
>> or Pspice on windows is more powerful than the the one I have on my
>> centos. Can you please let me know where powerful centos stuffs for
>> various purposes can be selected and installed from the internet?
>
> So you've installed Octave but it's not as powerful as MATLAB on windows.
> I know this is crazy talk, but have you tried MATLAB on CentOS?
>
> There is no one-to-one relationship between applications on one OS and on
> another.
>
> Keep googling.
>
> jh

If we cannot find the exact application name for centos, say MATLAB
for centos does not exist, so we must search for 'Mathematics
laboratory for centos' ? Or if Pspice for centos does not exist so we
must search for 'Electronics circuit schematics editor and simulator
for centos' ? If there any reference site that we can select centos
application with respect to their functionality deffinition but not
just the application name?