[CentOS] nouveau driver one centos 6

Thu Jul 21 14:04:24 UTC 2011

Jerry Geis wrote:
> I "wish" to not load the or even install the nouveau driver by default.
> I want to use the NVIDIA binary driver.

We could approach the developers of nouveau with pitchforks and torches....

> I have tried a number of things:
<snip>
There was a blacklist of nouveau on my kernel line in grub.conf, and it
still loaded.

> 3) I tried "rpm -e xorg-x11-drv-nouveau --nodeps". This seeming worked
> however the files for nouveau were still present. find / | grep nouveau
> showed driver files and more....
>
> So - anyone know how to get this off of my machine???

Try what I did: yum remove, which got, as a dependency,
Jul 20 09:41:08 Erased: xorg-x11-drivers
Jul 20 09:41:08 Erased: xorg-x11-drv-nouveau

I was puzzled to not that the former of the two is an rpm of zero bytes.
<snip>

          mark