[CentOS] non PAE support

Wed Jul 27 12:23:35 UTC 2011
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> On Tuesday 26 July 2011 20:55:58 John R Pierce wrote:
> > On 07/26/11 4:27 PM, Kevin K wrote:
> > > Does anyone know what I would have to modify in 6 if I wanted to run on an older Pentium M CPU without PAE?  Is it just the
> kernel that needs to be rebuilt (maybe while installed in a system with a supported CPU)?  Or are there other components that
> would cause problems and need to be rebuilt too?
> >
> > generically, you'd install the kernel srpm, and modify its rpmbuild
> > scripts to change the HIGHMEM64G kernel configure option to HIGHMEM4G
> > ... I would also change the name of this kernel (I'd add -noPAE to it, I
> > think), and the builder name, then run rpmbuild.
> >
> > specifically, I haven't done this in quite a long time, so would have to
> > figure out the details as I went along.
> >

> And how exactly would you do that if the installation just can't proceed if it detects you do not have a PAE processor?

You'll have to 'coss install' -- put the disk in a machine with PAE
support and install it there, load the kernel srpm, rebuild and install
the kernel, etc. and then install the disk in the original machine.  It
might be possible to cross rebuild the kernel and use a kickstart file
to deal with the kernel issue, but I am not sure how to do that.