[CentOS] Subnet expansion

Thu Jul 28 12:37:01 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 7/28/11 4:18 AM, John Doe wrote:

>> 2. If I keep some machine with 22 subnet mask, will it still be able
>> to talk to the other machines in it's range?

Linux boxes seem to mostly work with the wrong netmask, but I've seen things
that don't.  Your subnet broadcast will be wrong.

> They would talk to 10.1.16.1-10.1.19.254 ones, but would go for the gateway for 10.1.20.1-10.1.31.254

But the gateway may send an icmp redirect, knowing you should be able to reach
the target directly.  I'd recommend fixing everything to match as soon as possible.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com