[CentOS] dual sound

Fri Jul 29 18:21:38 UTC 2011
Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu>

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:05:27AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:

> On 07/29/11 10:56 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > Well, my new workstation has an internal speaker, as well as the jacks for
> > external. I want beeps, if necessary, but I can't figure out how to tell
> > it*not*  to route streaming audio to the jacks, and*not*  through the PC
> > speaker. Any ideas, folks?
>
> wait.    i'm confused.  you don't want ;streaming audio' (for whatever
> that means) on the jacks and you don't want it on the PC internal
> speaker ? (afaik, ONLY the motherboard 'beeps' ever come out the
> internal speaker, as its not a proper sound card, just a square wave
> thingie).

Actually, I would like to activate that motherboard beeper too.
I wrote a program years ago, before I had any sound card on my
MS-Dos PC to generate something on it.   You could vary the
frequency (tone) and length of beep and that just suited an
experiment I was doing.  I don't know how to do that from a
current machine running any UNIX varient (CentOS, FreeBSD, etc)
That information may be out there, but I haven't tried lately
to dig it up.   If you know or have some pointers, it could
be helpful.

Thanks,

////jerry