[CentOS] dual sound

Sat Jul 30 11:52:38 UTC 2011
ken <gebser at mousecar.com>

On 07/29/2011 02:21 PM Jerry McAllister wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 11:05:27AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> On 07/29/11 10:56 AM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>>> Well, my new workstation has an internal speaker, as well as the jacks for
>>> external. I want beeps, if necessary, but I can't figure out how to tell
>>> it*not*  to route streaming audio to the jacks, and*not*  through the PC
>>> speaker. Any ideas, folks?
>> wait.    i'm confused.  you don't want ;streaming audio' (for whatever
>> that means) on the jacks and you don't want it on the PC internal
>> speaker ? (afaik, ONLY the motherboard 'beeps' ever come out the
>> internal speaker, as its not a proper sound card, just a square wave
>> thingie).
>
> Actually, I would like to activate that motherboard beeper too.
> I wrote a program years ago, before I had any sound card on my
> MS-Dos PC to generate something on it.   You could vary the
> frequency (tone) and length of beep and that just suited an
> experiment I was doing.  I don't know how to do that from a
> current machine running any UNIX varient (CentOS, FreeBSD, etc)
> That information may be out there, but I haven't tried lately
> to dig it up.   If you know or have some pointers, it could
> be helpful.

That was one of the many programs I wrote too.  Ah, the days of C coding
on DOS....  Good times, but I'm glad they're gone.  Today just do this:

On CentOS 5.6 go into System > Preferences > Sound, click on the "System
Beep" tab, then click on "Enable System Beep".

No pitch control there though.  I can't understand why not.

--
"When a society comes together and makes decisions in harmony,
when it respects its most noble traditions, cares for its most