[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 22:46:20 UTC 2011

On 6/15/2011 5:26 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 03:04:59PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
>>
>> I am generally interested in a basic install. On this Macintosh,
>> VMWare Fusion, installing 64 bit Ubuntu-server-amd64 it's about 10
>> minutes. Installing 64 bit CentOS 5.6 x86_64 took about an hour. I
>> didn't time anything but I remember clearly. Of course the install
>> from Ubuntu was a single CD iso and CentOS was a DVD iso and the
>> bandwidth at my office is extremely good.
>
> DVD vs CD is irrelevant.
>
> I do not in any way believe your claims of an hour-long install process,
> even if done manually by walking through anaconda screen by screen.

I've seen vmware disk emulation -> LVM -> partitions run very, very
slowly.  Didn't diagnose it beyond thinking "if it hurts, don't do it",
though.  And I don't remember if it was a sparse disk or not, but it
probably was.  Could have been an issue in the way the growing drive
space is allocated on the physical side.

--
    Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com