[CentOS] Anyway to ensure SSH availability?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Jun 30 20:53:21 UTC 2011

> On 6/30/11, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Again, fixable by not sharing the disk the guest uses with the disk the host
> > needs to load programs from... The disk head is always going to be in the
> > wrong place.
>
> Well, let's just say my original recommendation specifications for
> this particular set was a HP ML110G6 with 8GB, 2x 250GB for the host
> and 2x1.5TB storage drives, told them the extra memory and drives
> could be bought OTS so they don't have to pay HP prices for that.
>
> What I end up working with is a no-brand desktop quad core with a pair
> of 500GB... so the chances of convincing them to fork out extra for
> hardware isn't good. Unfortunately I'm stuck with making things work
> because managing the server was part of the contract sold with the
> apps.
>

> > But, odds are that the source of the problem is starting too many mail
> > delivery programs, especially if they, or the user's local procmail, starts a
> > spamassassin instance per message.  Look at the mail logs for a problem time
> > to see if you had a flurry of messages coming in.  Sendmail/MimeDefang is
> > fairly good at queuing the input and controlling the processes running at once but
> > even  with that you may have to throttle the concurrent sendmail processes.
>
> Does it make a difference if I'm running Exim instead of sendmail/MimeDefang?

Probably not.  I suspect that Exim also has a throttling parameter setting.

> Right now it doesn't look like an mail run, more like a httpd run
> because it's starting to look like a large number of httpd threads was
> spawned just before that.

OK, there are probably settings for Apache to run fewer threads.
Probably better have a "Server too busy" type of message than a wedged
server.  (And most likely the extra httpd threads will just be spambots
of some sort anyway -- who cares if they get tossed...)