[CentOS] hard disk install failure

Mon Jun 6 22:44:41 UTC 2011
Don Krause <dkrause at optivus.com>

On Jun 6, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> Has anybody successfully installed CentOS-
>
> I tried (several times) installing CentOS-5.6 from a hard disk,
> and each time it failed after installing all the rpms,
> with the warning "The installation has tried to mount image #2,
> but cannot find it on the hard drive."
>
> When I pressed the Debug button one time after the failure,
> it seemed to say that it was looking for the file in /dev/sdb7//ext2/
> (/dev/sdb7 being the site of the DVD ISO).
>
> But I'm not sure what "image #2" is? Or where it should be put?
>
> Incidentally, I started by copying isolinux/vmlinuz and isolinux/initrd.img
> to the the directory CentOS-5.6 in the /boot parition
> of a working linux (Fedora) system, and adding the stanza
> ----------------------------
> title CentOS-5.6
>        root (hd0,1)
>        kernel /CentOS-5.6/vmlinuz repo=hd:/dev/sdb5:/
>        initrd /CentOS-5.6/initrd.img
> ----------------------------
> The repo option was ignored, and I was asked if I wanted to install by FTP,
> from Hard Disk, etc.
>
> In the end I installed by http from my web-server, after
> 	mount -o loop CentOS-5.6-x86_64-bin-DVD-1of2.iso /var/www/html/
> on the server .
> This worked faultlessly, and seems to be by far the easiest way
> to install CentOS or Fedora if a local web-server is available.

Strange, I install it from the DVD.iso to VMWare images a couple times a month, haven't seen that issue.

Once a new release gets approved for production, I copy the contents of the DVD.iso to our PXE Boot server,
and install production machines from there.

(FWIW, I have not installed in onto real hardware, from a real DVD, in a couple years now..)

Are you sure your DVD matches the checksums?
--
Don Krause
Head Systems Geek,
dkrause at optivus.com
www.optivus.com
"This message represents the official view of the voices in my head."