[CentOS] hard disk install failure

Tue Jun 7 15:18:30 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> Reading this, I'm thinking still more about the bigger picture, there. I
> didn't see the start of this thread - is this a home system? If so, using
> WinDo$e is pointless, if you're running Linux, unless you're running Linux
> in a VM under WinDoze.

The machine is running CentOS-5.6 .
The modem is running fine, but my speed has not been improved threefold,
as promised.
In fact the speed is identical to the previous modem, as far as I can tell.

I find a Windows dual-boot quite useful on many occasions,
eg if some card or other device does not work under Linux it is worth seeing
if it works under Windows.

Also, if I have to call my ISP (I did once, when the line outside
was damaged in a storm), it is more or less obligatory to be running Windows
during the visit.

I've been running Unix for 30 years, having graduated to Linux from Minix.
I guess my philosophy is closer to Linus Torvalds than Richard Stallman.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net