[CentOS] Folklore collections (was:Re: OT: high static in server room)

Wed Jun 15 15:28:40 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:13:20 AM m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> Ever heard the old, old m'frame (I think) story, of the guy who needed to
> do a backup, and the tape failed, and they had to go to an older one.

Yeah, I've read that one, and it is a nice lesson.

For more of the same (rather than doing it one at a time, on-list but *way* OT) see http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/humor/Unix/computer.folklore.from.net.rumors.html

Also see the archives of alt.folklore.computers from the late 80's (post-Great-Renaming, that is) and the early 90's.

And be sure to read http://nemesis.lonestar.org/stories/stages.html

And if you can find a copy, get the Datamation book 'Faith, Hope, and Parity.'

I've got a really old list somewhere that I got from a fellow student years ago (1984 I think) that was on a TRS-80 5.25 floppy; if I find it I'll send it along off-list.  It even includes some poetry (this is by memory):

I hate this old machine
I wish that they would sell it
It never does what I want
But only what I tell it.

Sorry for the OT; back to the running discussion of the C6 timeline..... (I'm very much looking forward to this release).