[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Wed Jun 15 22:04:59 UTC 2011
Craig White <craig.white at ttiltd.com>

On Jun 15, 2011, at 12:33 PM, Tom H wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 4:50 AM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
>>
>> Like RHEL/CentOS, Ubuntu LTS is absolutely appropriate for server use.
>> In fact, it's sort of refreshing to set up a new server that isn't
>> overloaded with bloat from the very start. Setting up a new VMWare image
>> w/ Ubuntu Server takes at most 10 minutes whereas doing the same w/
>> CentOS 5 takes almost an hour (easier just to clone my base install copy
>> kept for just that purpose).
>>
>> I actually use Fedora for my Desktop. It dual boots to Ubuntu but I
>> don't often use it. The only reason that I ever saw people using Fedora
>> for production was because the RHEL/CentOS software packages were so
>> completely out-of-date.
>
> Both CentOS and Ubuntu server installs take as long for me. Are you
> comparing similar levels of install?!
----
I am generally interested in a basic install. On this Macintosh, VMWare Fusion, installing 64 bit Ubuntu-server-amd64 it's about 10 minutes. Installing 64 bit CentOS 5.6 x86_64 took about an hour. I didn't time anything but I remember clearly. Of course the install from Ubuntu was a single CD iso and CentOS was a DVD iso and the bandwidth at my office is extremely good.

A similar install is difficult since Ubuntu will have to indicate that you want to install even openssh-server and CentOS (noting that many of the decisions emanate from upstream) by default puts on a full GUI and you have to knowingly trim down the packages to attempt to minimize the installation.

Craig