[CentOS] CentOS-6 Status updates

Wed Jun 15 22:26:13 UTC 2011
John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com>

On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 03:04:59PM -0700, Craig White wrote:

> I am generally interested in a basic install. On this Macintosh,
> VMWare Fusion, installing 64 bit Ubuntu-server-amd64 it's about 10
> minutes. Installing 64 bit CentOS 5.6 x86_64 took about an hour. I
> didn't time anything but I remember clearly. Of course the install
> from Ubuntu was a single CD iso and CentOS was a DVD iso and the
> bandwidth at my office is extremely good.

DVD vs CD is irrelevant.

I do not in any way believe your claims of an hour-long install process,
even if done manually by walking through anaconda screen by screen.

If you are going to make these claims, please provide verifiable and
empirical data to support your claims; "but I remember clearly" does not
constitute such.

> A similar install is difficult since Ubuntu will have to indicate that
> you want to install even openssh-server and CentOS (noting that many
> of the decisions emanate from upstream) by default puts on a full GUI
> and you have to knowingly trim down the packages to attempt to
> minimize the installation.

A similar environment is completely trivial to set up; use kickstart and
trim down to what you want, including what services to have started at
boot time or not.  kickstart can be set to use a -nobase options which
will limit, by default, the packages being installed to only those in
the @core group and those marked "mandatory" in the comps.xml catalog.

I can do a minimal install in ~5 minutes under Xen or bare metal using
kickstart, including the time to provision the Xen instance.  I've no
reason to believe that VMware would be significantly slower.  By this
way, this is on years-old hardware, single core cpus.

							John

--
All I ask is this: Do something.  Try something.  Speaking out, showing up,
writing a letter, a check, a strongly worded e-mail.  Pick a cause -- there

-- Joss Whedon (1964-), writer and film director