[CentOS] Gnu Screen - terminal issues

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 22:07:51 UTC 2011

On 3/3/2011 3:34 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> on 13:36 Thu 03 Mar, Sean Carolan (scarolan at gmail.com) wrote:
>> I really like gnu screen and use it everyday but there's one thing
>> that is a bit inconvenient, and that's the odd line wrapping and
>> terminal size issues that seem to pop up.  The problem crops up when I
>> type or paste a really long command, and then go back and try to edit
>> it; the text starts to wrap over itself and you have no idea what you
>> are editing.  Any fixes for this?
>
> Is your local terminal type known to all remote systems (in termcap)?
>
> I find I have to re-map $TERM to some low-common standard (e.g.: xterm)
> on many systems.  Legacy Unix vendors being the most eggregious for
> this.

I tried to forget the incompatibilities in different old terminal types
after about everything settled on xterm compatibility.  Instead of
running screen, can you run a desktop session under freenx on a server
somewhere and run everything in terminal windows there (even ssh
sessions that go elsewhere)?  If you haven't tried it, the NX client has
great performance with freenx, even remotely, and lets you
disconnect/reconnect with everything still running.  Assuming you have
something locally that can run the NX client (windows/mac/linux) you
also get mouse based cut/paste and the only down side is a slightly
longer time to do the initial screen refresh when you connect.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com