[CentOS] BUG: soft lockup CPU stuck for 10seconds (Server went down)

David Sommerseth dazo at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Mar 8 10:06:37 UTC 2011

On 07/03/11 08:31, Roland RoLaNd wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Today my server stopped responding.
> i went to the console and on the screen there were a continuous loop of the
> following info shown on the screen:
>
> BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 10s! [java:13959]
>
> and alot of other information.
> ii've took a screen shot of the info shown , you can find it under the
> following url: http://img585.imageshack.us/i/img00012201103070833.jpg/
> and had to hard reset for it to be back up and running.
>
> i tried googling with no luck for direct relevant info.
> so hoping you can help out

Some real kernel developers might have better insight on why this happens.
 But this hits APIC timers during a syscall.  I would probably try to boot
the box with 'noapic' in the kernel command line, to see if this improves
things or not.

Do you see the "soft lockup - CPU#0" always?  or does it also happen to
other CPUs as well?  And if it does, is the java process running on more CPUs?

kind regards,

David Sommerseth