[CentOS] Internet connection sharing?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Mar 8 19:15:53 UTC 2011

On 03/08/11 10:59 AM, David Brian Chait wrote:

> That may be, but the advice is still valid, windows is infinitely more vulnerable than *NIX on a direct/open connection. Most corps filter traffic to windows boxes through intermediaries to limit risk.

Corps firewall their unix servers too.   All our public internet servers
are in a secure DMZ isolated from both our WAN and the Internet.  How is
that any different?

Millions of users carry Windows laptops and use them at public access
points daily.   Windows since XP SP2 has had a perfectly decent firewall
built in and enabled by default.  Anyone sane is running an antivirus
suite.   Modern web browsers like Google Chrome automatically catch and
block a lot of web hackery.

Unix, improperly configured, is just as vunerable.  Witness the number
of users around here who are running 5.2 or whatever without having ever
installed patches 'because its against XYZ support policy' or something
equally lame.   The endless list of CERT advisories against popular daemons.