[CentOS] Gnu Screen - terminal issues

Thu Mar 3 22:36:44 UTC 2011
Dr. Ed Morbius <dredmorbius at gmail.com>

on 16:30 Thu 03 Mar, Les Mikesell (lesmikesell at gmail.com) wrote:
> On 3/3/2011 4:19 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:
> > on 16:07 Thu 03 Mar, Les Mikesell (lesmikesell at gmail.com) wrote:

> >> Instead of running screen, can you run a desktop session under
> >> freenx on a server

> > No xlibs on our servers.
>
> You need _a_ machine somewhere that can host a freenx session.  It
> doesn't need to be the target of the ssh connections, just something
> that will mostly stay powered up if you want the session to stay active
> all the time.  A development box or even a VM session that would work -
> or a desktop machine if it stays on all the time.  It doesn't even have
> to run X on its own console.

Frankly, given the alternative ease of automatically redefining $TERM,
that strikes me as a slightly overengineered solution.

Not that I'm intrinsically opposed to overengineering.

--
Dr. Ed Morbius, Chief Scientist /            |
  Robot Wrangler / Staff Psychologist        | When you seek unlimited power