[CentOS] Gnu Screen - terminal issues

Thu Mar 3 22:50:54 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 3/3/2011 4:36 PM, Dr. Ed Morbius wrote:

>>> No xlibs on our servers.
>>
>> You need _a_ machine somewhere that can host a freenx session.  It
>> doesn't need to be the target of the ssh connections, just something
>> that will mostly stay powered up if you want the session to stay active
>> all the time.  A development box or even a VM session that would work -
>> or a desktop machine if it stays on all the time.  It doesn't even have
>> to run X on its own console.
>
> Frankly, given the alternative ease of automatically redefining $TERM,
> that strikes me as a slightly overengineered solution.
>
> Not that I'm intrinsically opposed to overengineering.

Don't knock it until you've tried it.  A full GUI desktop, even mostly
hosting a bunch of terminal windows is a lot more comfortable place to
work than a screen session, and mousable cut/paste that works even with
the local OS running the NX client is extremely handy (how many times do
you do the same command on several machines?).  I almost never log in
directly at a linux console anymore and if I need to do something from
home or remotely, I just pick the session that was my last desktop at work.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com