[CentOS] Will CentOS become obsolete now because of the changes Red Hat is implementing?

Sat Mar 5 10:29:11 UTC 2011
Ned Slider <ned at unixmail.co.uk>

On 05/03/11 10:07, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> This post appeared on another forum:
>
> Will CentOS become obsolete now because of the changes Red Hat is implementing?

<snip>

> But CentOS founder Russ Herold insists the change is not a big issue.
> "Private local trial builds of the released RHEL 6 sources by me and
> others have proceeded with no major problems. I just do not see that
> the changes as some earth-shattering change. I just think [the patches
> will be] incrementally more difficult to figure out," he says.
>
> "Nothing in Red Hat's new approach prevents a person from running a
> local version-control system, containing the pristine kernel at point
> A, and the Red Hat variant which we might call point B. Then one runs
> a 'diff' in that version-control system between A and B, and starts
> reading the diffs to see what is happening. Over time, both the
> pristine kernel, and the patched Red Hat versions will vary, and one
> will get a sense for which 'diff' parts matter, and which are cosmetic
> cleanups."

<snip>

> Full story here : http://www.channelregister.co.uk/201...ode_packaging/

full non-truncated link:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/red_hat_twarts_oracle_and_novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging/

> Can any of the CentOS team please comment on this?

Which part of Russ Herold's ("CentOS founder") comments above did you
not read?

Come on, this whole story is total nonsense and has been responded to a
number of times. Red Hat are legitimately protecting their business
model against competitors (namely, Oracle and Novel) and the changes
have no impact towards rebuilders. This is a good thing - if Red Hat
doesn't exist the CentOS doesn't exist.