[CentOS] Which file system to use for a USB backup

Sun Mar 13 01:16:37 UTC 2011
Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>

--On Wednesday, March 09, 2011 2:56 PM -0800 Todd Cary
<todd at aristesoftware.com> wrote:

> I have some photographs on my Centos 4 server that I want to copy
> to a USB drive.  However, I want to be able to access the files
> from Windows or Mac OS's.  Where should I look for instructions
> on how to mount and format the USB drive and is FAT32 the only
> option?

I don't know about Mac, but you could set up NTFS with Fuse on CentOS to
allow you to format and mount it as an NTFS filesystem.

You could also format as ext3 and install a filesystem driver on Windows to
understand ext3.

<http://www.fs-driver.org/>

Since the Mac is BSD-based, it might even understand ext3. There's this
project:

<http://ext2fsx.sourceforge.net/>

I haven't used these, as I haven't needed to export files to another OS
this way.