[CentOS] cobbler installation of CentOS-5.5

Mon Mar 28 16:48:33 UTC 2011

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>
>>> 2. The CentOS OS seems to be available in 7 or 8 CDs.
>>> (I tried downloading the DVD ISO with ktorrent,
>>> but this was a complete failure.
>>> It started OK, but then created literally thousands of links
>>> to one file, which brought my server down,
>>> and left it in a state which was quite hard to clean up.)
>>
>> Dunno. Last time I brought down the DVD iso, I had no trouble just doing
>> a straight d/l, no torrent.
>
> Where did you find the DVD ISO?
> When I follow the download instructions at <http://www.centos.org/>
> I am only offered "local", ie west european, mirrors,
> and none of those I looked at had the DVD ISO;
> all of them just had 8 CD ISOs.

Ok, I had to search a little, and I am in the US, but I went to the mirror
list, and picked from there. A few judicious checks - edu, rackspace, but
then I saw "supercomputer center", and found a 2-part DVD iso at
<http://mirrors.arsc.edu/centos/5/isos/x86_64/>

>> Mount the CD isos using loopback (mount -o loop), and copy.
>> <snip>
>
> I didn't follow this.
> Do you mean mount each of the 8 CDs using loopback?
> And what exactly am I meant to copy?

d/l the .iso's, mkdir /mnt/disk1 /mnt/disk2/...
mount -o loop /whereeverIdl/centos_cd_disk1.iso /mnt/disk1
etc.
mkdir /mnt/centos_dvd
cp -p /mnt/disk1/* /mnt/disk2/*... /mnt/centos_dvd/

I mean, I'm not thinking about this a lot, but if that doesn't work, you
could copy the rpms into the directory, or you could try
cp -p /mnt/disk1/ /mnt/disk2/... /mnt/centos_dvd/
which would give you disk1... under /mnt/centos_dvd, and burn that onto
one or two dvds.

> I need to indicate where "cobbler import" should look, I assume.

Worked *some* with Spacewalk, not really at all with cobbler, so I can't
answer that.

       mark