[CentOS] centos server network speed check???

Tue Mar 29 14:55:01 UTC 2011
Michael Simpson <mikie.simpson at gmail.com>

On 29 March 2011 11:32, Anthony <akcentos at anroet.com> wrote:
>  On 29/03/11 11:29, mcclnx mcc wrote:
>> To answer your questios:
>>
>> 1. network is Intranet not internet.
>>
>> 2. servers CPU and I/O are very light.  We did use "sar -u" and sar -b to check.
>>
>> 3. is NOT only one server has this network slow problem.  at least 4 to 5 servers on that rack all report slow.  it is NOT possible all servers on that rack are all heavy load.

Expanding on Tym's reply i would also check the counters on the switch
interfaces that serve that rack to look for packet drops or buffer
problems at the time of the slowdown. Also look for the cpu
utilisation on the switch in question in case it is being overwhelmed
with control plane traffic
That would seem to be the most likely explanation for 4 or 5 servers
going slow at the same time.

mike