[CentOS] OT: IBM and Dell rack

Thu Mar 31 06:40:32 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 03/30/11 8:35 PM, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Is IBM and Dell 42U rack compatible in dimension, rails, etc?
> Can we put IBM servers into Dell rack?

racks can have 3 sizes of threaded holes (10-32,12-24, or M6.  12-24 is
most common nowdays in USA at least), or large square holes
('universal') that you can put snapnuts into with either of the two
thread sizes.  the screw spacing is totally standarized as is the width
between the racks.  the depth is variable, most servers prefer to mount
in 26-29" deep racks.

pretty much everything new is square hole.

each company tends to use their own rail systems, but usually have
several options available when you order a given server. rails are
usually server brand/family specific too.   a lot of newer stuff, the
rails 'snap' onto square hole racks without needing nearly any screws or
nuts.

Due to lots of reasons, my servers often end up strapped 2-3 high on shelves

oh, see http://www.server-racks.com/rack-hole-types.html for a bit more
about this, along with links to summaries of the various maker's rail
systems