[CentOS] OT: IBM and Dell rack

Thu Mar 31 15:55:53 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Thursday, March 31, 2011 02:40:32 am John R Pierce wrote:
> oh, see http://www.server-racks.com/rack-hole-types.html for a bit more
> about this, along with links to summaries of the various maker's rail
> systems

And, if you can find a copy, see EIA RS-310-C "Racks, Panels, and Associated Equipment" and/or IEC 297.

EMC 40U racks are unthreaded round hole, universal pattern.  And most of my threaded-hole racks are 10-32; I only have a few two-post aluminum racks that are 12-24.  EMC's rail kits use 10-32 threaded inserts in the rails, too.

How does this relate to CentOS?  Well, CentOS sees use in lots of servers, and servers are typically in racks, and the last I looked there were no 'rack hardware questions' mailing-list...... :-)

But, yeah, OT.