[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed May 11 01:17:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 12:13 +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Alain Péan wrote:
>   > The problem is that when C6.0 will be released, it is likely that RHEL
> > 6.1 will be already released. So there will be no security updates for
> > C6.0, and it will be better to stay under SL6, until the release of
> > C6.1. I already installed three machines under SL6, and it works fine.
> >
> > Alain
> >

> Once 6.0 packages are figured out (how to compile them), newer versions
> of those packages in 6.1 will be much easier to compile, so I expect no
> more then one month to pass from C6.0 to C6.1
----
Considering that it took them 3 months to get out the 5.6 update and
that upstream is adding packages that weren't ready when 6.0 was
released, I would think that one month is highly optimistic but two
things are certain. Upstream released exactly 6 months ago and still
nothing and apparently today's target date has slipped, and 2) until
CentOS admits that there is a problem, nothing will actually change.

Craig

believed to be clean.