[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Thu May 12 15:53:19 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, May 10, 2011 09:12:59 PM Dag Wieers wrote:
> And given that C5.6 took 3 months, are there any reasons why C6.1 would
> take no more than 1 month ?

I can easily think of a few.  4.9 and 6.0 are two of those few.

Again, I'll note that SL is just now releasing the second beta of 5.6 this Friday.  Not the final SL 5.6.  Not to try to make SL look bad in any way, but to highlight that the triple-threat of 6.0, 5.6, and 4.9 is/was hard on both projects.

CentOS chose to do 5.6 and 4.9 before 6.0; CentOS is later with 6.0.  SL chose to do 6.0 first; they had 6.0 out first, and 4.9 followed, and 5.6 is not yet out.  I don't consider a beta or alpha or even an RC release as being 'out' either.

And again I'm not being critical of either project; both do a fantastic job.  They had and have different priorities, and with a CentOS 5.6 release behind us we now see the effect of those different priorities.